Thursday, September 5, 2013

In Life of Pi, how is Chapter 86 the climax in Pi's development as a character?

I think one of the central ways that this chapter points
towards the development of Pi as a character is the way in which Pi reacts to Richard
Parker once the tanker has passed them by and disappears over the horizon. Clearly Pi is
very emotionally wound up by the way that he has missed out on being saved. However,
when the tanker disappears, he looks over at Richard Parker and sees that the only thing
he is aware of is that he is somewhat upset or agitated. Pi's response is very
interesting. Note what he says in the quote that ends the
chapter:



"I
love you!" The words burst out pure and unfettered, infinite. The feeling flooded my
chest. "Truly I do. I love you, Richard Parker. If I didn't have you now, I don't know
what I would do. I don't think I would make it. No, I wouldn't. I would die of
hopelessness. Don't give up, Richard Parker, don't give up. I'll get you to land, I
promise, I promise!"



The
arrival and departure of the tanker and the way that it represents a hope of salvation
that is cruelly dashed thus forces Pi to realise how important his relationship with
Richard Parker has become to him, and how, in a sense, he is a part of
himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...