Sunday, November 1, 2015

What were the advantages and disadvantages of the Industrial Revolution in Europe?

The major advantage of the industrial revolution was it
provided for the mass production of manufactured goods which could be purchased at much
cheaper prices. Textiles, farm implements, etc. which previously had been made piecemeal
were suddenly easily accessible and at much cheaper prices than had been the case
earlier. When combined with the reduction in food prices as a result of the Agricultural
revolution, people had more disposable income and in general a higher standard of
living.


The major disadvantage was the harsh treatment--if
not indignities--suffered by laborers in factories. Whereas work had previously been a
source of pride, one now was reduced to simplistic repetitive work, normally for menial
wages. One was often required to work as much as twelve to fourteen hours per day, six
days per week. The work was not only boring and repetitive, but also dangerous, as
little concern was given to worker's safety. Workers who were injured or even killed on
the job were easily replaced. T


A major disadvantage that
resulted was the implementation of child labor. Wages were so poor that often entire
families, even young children were forced to work in factories. In England children
worked in coal mines underground where they were subjected to sexual abuse as well as
brutal working conditions. The following description of a seventeen year old girl is
illustrative:



readability="17">

I never went to day school; I go to Sunday
School, but I cannot read or write. I go to pit at five o’clock in the morning and come
out at five in the evening. I get my breakfast of porridge and milk first; I take my
dinner with me, a cake and eat it as I go. I do not stop or rest any time for the
purpose; I get noth8ing else until I get home. And then have potatoes and meat, not
every day meat. I hurry in the clothes I have now got on, trousers and ragged jacket;
the bald place upon my head is made by thrusting the courves [coal wagons]; my legs have
never swelled, but sisters’ did when they went to mill; I hurry the courves a mile and
more underground and back; they weigh 300, I hurry eleven a day. I wear a belt and chain
in the workings to get the courves out. The putters [miners] I work for are naked except
their caps; they pull off all their clothes. I seem them at work when I go up; sometimes
they beat me if I am not quick enough, with their hands; they strike me upon my back;
the boys take liberties with me; sometimes they pull me about; I am the only girt in the
pit, there are about 20 boys and 15 men, all the men are naked; I would rater work in
ill than in coal pit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...