Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What is the climax of the novel Speak?

For me, the climax of this great novel comes when the
final confrontation occurs between the narrator and Andy Evans, who again tries to rape
her like he did before the novel began. The significance of this encounter is shown by
the way that Andy Evans is referred to as a "Beast" and then as "IT" as he tries to
violently rape the narrator once more. However, this is also the time when the narrator
finds the energy and the inner strength to oppose him, and to threaten him in turn,
which seems to move her towards resolving some of her massive conflicts. Consider the
following paragraph:


readability="11">

Shards of glass slip down the wall and into the
sink. IT pulls away from me, puzzled. I reach in and wrap my fingers around a triangle
of glass. I hold it to Andy Evans's neck. He freezes. I push just hard enough to raise
one drop of blood. He raises his arms over his head. My hand quivers. I want to insert
the glass all the way through his throat, I want to hear him scream. I look up. I see
the stubble on his chin, a fleck of white in the corner of his mouth. His lips are
paralysed. He cannot speak. That's good
enough.



There are two things
of vital interest here which indicate that this is the climax. First of all, note the
way that when the narrator has gained advantage over Andy Evans, she ceases to call him
the terrifying "IT" and refers to him using his name. This is significant because it
shows how she is able to look at him as a normal human being and not a terrifying
monster. Secondly, she is finally able to reduce him to silence in the same way that he
reduced her to silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...