Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What does it mean when the general says "I will not lose my nerve. I will not" in the story "The Most Dangerous Game"?Would you explain to me what...

First, it was not General Zaroff who uttered the quote in
question from "The Most Dangerous Game": It was Sanger Rainsford, who was being hunted
by Zaroff, who, trying to calm his nerves, nervously
said,



"I will
not lose my nerve. I will
not."



Rainsford had just seen
for himself the uncanny tracking ability of Zaroff, who tracked him through the woods at
night. When the general smiled and then turned back, Rainsford realized that Zaroff had
known he was near and had deliberately returned to his home so he could extend the hunt
on the next day.


readability="6">

The general was playing with him! The general was
saving him for another day's sport! The Cossack was the cat; he was the mouse. Then it
was that Rainsford knew the full meaning of
terror.



Rainsford would call
up his nerve again later in the story when he attempted to make a final escape from the
Cossack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...