Saturday, November 22, 2014

What in your socialization has led you to have your particular views about the proper relationships of women and men?

My attitudes about relationships come from two things, my
parents and my education.


As I watched my parents I found
that I did not want to have their sort of relationship.  It was and is a good
relationship for them, but I think that it is too old-fashioned.  My mother seems always
to be waiting on my father, getting things for him, hurrying off if he is waiting for
her in the car, and generally acting in ways that show that she sees him as somehow more
important than her.  I never did like that.


That interacted
with my education.  My education was a modern one where I read books and texts that
tended to be written after the women's movement had changed attitudes about
relationships.  I read those things and agreed with their more liberal attitudes.  This
increased my conviction that men and women should interact on an equal
basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...