Monday, January 20, 2014

What is the narrators goal in "By the Waters of Babylon"?

Well, I suppose John's overt goal is to undergo his
journey that he needs to complete in order to become a priest. However, at the same
time, we are told that John's ultimate goal is to learn more to combat his ignorance on
so many subjects concerning his people and their origin. Note the following
quote:


readability="10">

Nevertheless, my knowledge and my lack of
knowledge burned in me--I wished to know more. When I was a man at last, I came to my
fahter and said, "It is time for me to go on my journey. Give me your
leave."



John thus desires to
find out more information and gain more knowledge, which he does in the end gain, but
only after suffering many hardships and enduring many dangers. The vision that he
experiences whilst in the skyscraper, where he views the end of our civilisation,
teaches him the dangers of desiring too much knowledge, and he returns to his tribe and
father a humbled and wiser individual, recognising that, "perhaps, in those days, they
ate knowledge too fast."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...