Wednesday, July 9, 2014

In The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, describe how Huck's relationship with his father led to his decision to run away.

Let us remember that Huck's father was hardly an excellent
role model for Huck. He was a drunkard and a liar and a cheat. He is also physically
violent towards Huck. Interestingly, however, Huck doesn't seem to mind too much about
these negatives and does say that he enjoys living with his father in comparison to all
the rules and regulations of living with the Widow Watson. If you want a good reason for
why Huck ran away, consider this example of his father's behaviour from Chapter Six when
his father drinks himself into a frenzy:


readability="15">

By and by he rolled out and jumped up on his
feet looking wild, and he see me and went for me. He chased me round and round the place
with a clasp-knife, calling me the Angel and Death, and saying he would kill me, and
then I couldn't come for him no more. I begged, and told him I was only Huck; but he
laughed such a screechy laugh, and roared and cussed, and kept on chasing me
up.



With such behaviour and
regular beatings, it is hardly a surprise that Huck decides that he wants to run away
and thus plots to fake his own death so that he can have the freedom to live his life
the way that he wants to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...