Monday, September 7, 2015

Did the examples of foreshadowing help you predict what happened in "The Leap"?

Foreshadowing is a difficult thing to do well, because it
should provide us with clues as to what will happen but forshadowing should be something
that we are only aware of when the ending actually comes and we can see what has been
foreshadowed and predicted. The mark of an excellent author then is one who is able to
use foreshadowing but only make us aware of it at the end of the story, causing us to
read back and look at these predictions again.


I must
admit, when I first read this excellent story, this happened to me, and I was blind to
how the author was using foreshadowing to indicate what was going to happen. Looking
back at the story, my favourite piece of foreshadowing is the
following:



My
mother once said that I'd be amazed at how many things a person can do within the act of
falling.



This of course
foreshadows the narrator's own act of falling as she is saved by her mother at the end
of the story. Therefore, I wasn't aware of these examples of foreshadowing until I had
finished the story and so it didn't help me make any
predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film: 'Crocodile Dundee' directed by Peter FaimanHow are stereotypical roles upheld and challenged?

One of the stereotypes that is both upheld and challenged is the role of the damsel in distress. Sue is supposed to be the delic...